1. The first train ran from Bori Bunder station to Thane at about 34 kilometers in April, 16th 1853. General Dalhousie is the governor who started the first transportation of railways in India.
2. Indian railways become nationalized in the year 1961.
3. Indian Railways is a public sector which has most no: of employees in India compared to other sectors.
4. The railway path that included the train routes in the world heritage list of UNESCO is from Darjeeling to Himalayan Railway Line & also Nilgiri Mountain Railway Line.
5. The railway station that was included in the world Heritage list is Chatrapathi Sivaji Terminus in Mumbai of Maharashtra.
6. The trains that runs between India and Pakistan are Samjhauta Express (train started its run in 1976 from delhi to lahore) and Thar Express (runs between Karachi and Jodhpur).
7. The train that connects kolkata with Dhaka of Bangladesh is Maitree Express.
8. The train that serviced for the pilgrims of Buddha is "The Great Indian Rover". But it stopped its service in late 1980s and then changed the name from "The Great Indian Rover" to "Buddha Parikrama".
9. "Hospital on Wheels" is the train that running from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus for the distribution of Medicine.
10. Life Line Express also called as "Jeevan Rekha Express" started its run in 1991, July 16.
11. The train engine still running which is the oldest engine is Fairy Queen (locomotive).
12. The third longest railway platform of the world is Kharagpur railway platform, which has a length of 1.72 kilometers.
13. Vivek Express is currently the longest train route in the Indian Subcontinent from Assam to Tamil Nadu.
14. Himasager Express runs between Kanyakumari and Jammu Kashmir. The total distance of its travel is 3745 kilometer and it reach its destination from Kanyakumari to Jammu in 74 hours & 55 minutes.
15. The fastest train of Indian Railways is Bhopal - Delhi Special Shadabdi Express with a speed of 140 km/hr.
16. Rajadhani Express started its run in 1969, March 1.
17. Shatabdi Express trains are passenger trains operated by Indian Railways that started its run in memory of Shatabdi of Jawaharlal Nehru.
18. The first Shatabdi Express service is launched in 1989 July. It was between New Delhi and Jhansi.
19. The first electric train started its journey in 1928, January 5.
20. Chittaranjan Locomotive works was located in West Bengal. It got its name in memory of the bengal freedom fighter, Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das.
21. The luxury train called "Palace on Wheels" runs through the tourist spots of Rajasthan.
22. The another luxury train of Indian Railways called "The Deccan Odyssey Train" runs through the tourist spots of Maharashtra.
23. The Royal Orient Train is a luxury train that runs between Gujarat and Rajasthan for tourism.
01. The Grant Truck Express was started its run in 1929. It runs between the stations, New Delhi and Madras.
02. The Golden Temple Mail earlier known as Frontier Mail (until September 1996)started its run in 1928 between the stations Amrister and Mumbai.
03. Punjab Mail started its run in 1912 and is between Delhi and Ferozpur.
04. Flying Rani Otherwise called as Flying Queen started its run in 1906 between Mumbai Central and Surat.
05. Deccan Queen started its service between Mumbai & Pune in 1930.
06. Janashadabti is the express train started its run from 2002 onwards.
07. The Presidential Saloon is the facility arranged by Indian railways for travelling President. It is the luxuary coach with two compartments. Dr Rajendra Prasad used the Presidential Saloon for First time.
08. The only Rack railway of India is in Neelagiri Railway. The track is between mettupalayam to udhagamandalam (1 hour 44 mins travel with 51.5 km). Mettupalayam to Udhagamandalam Train is the slowest train of India. It has the speed of 10.425 km/hr.
09. The Railway Station built at a height of 2258 meter above sea level is located at Darjeeling.
10. Banihal-Qazigund tunnel is the Lengthiest railway tunnel with a length of 11.215 km (7 mile).
11. The Upper Son Bridge in Bihar otherwise called as Nehru Setu rail bridge is the second longest Railway bridge with total length of 3.065 km.
12. In 1990, Surekha Bhonsle (now Surekha Yadav) become the first Indian Woman train driver of passenger train.
13. Rinku Singha Roy is the first women station master, who bacame the station master in 1994.
14. The malayalee who taken the charge amd completed the Metro Railway project is E.Sreedhar.
15. It was in 2003, Indian Railways celebrated 150th Anniversary.As a part of Anniversary, the elephant named "Bholu" is taken as official Symbol of Indian Railways.
01. Vembanad Bridge, Kerala - 4.62 km
02. Upper Son Bridge, Bihar - 3.065 km
03. Havelock Bridge, Andhra Pradesh - 2.7 km
04. Sharavathi River Bridge, Honnavar - 2,060 km
05. Konkan Railway Bridge, Goa - 1,319 km
06. Pamban Bridge, Tamil Nadu
07. Godavari Arch Bridge, Andhra Pradesh
08. Mahanadi Rail Bridge, Orissa
09. Jubilee Bridge Hooghly, Calcutta
10. Balawali Railway Bridge, Uttar Pradesh
1853: The first train service from Bombay to Thane (34 km Broad Guage ). The Dalhousie's Railway Minute introduced.
1870: Lord Mayo introduced the Meter Guage project.
1881: The first Mountain Train from Dargeeling to Himalayan Railway Station started.
1890: Indian Railway act was passed.
1905: Indian Railway Act Passed. Also three member Railway Borad established.
1920: Awkworth Committee formed inorder to study about Railway Management and the utilization of Financial Matters.
1922: Railway Board reformed.
1924: The special Financial Facility.
1925: Central Government take the responsibility of East India Railways and Great India peninsular Highway. The railway track is also electrified.
1936: AC Coaches introduced in Train.
1951: Railways Nationalised.
1953: Hendred years of Indian Railways celebrated.
1955: The first Meter guage Engine was introduced.
1956: THe first broad guage diesal engine was introduced.
1969: The first Rajadhani Express train started its Run from New Delhi to Howrah.
1977: Pinkcity Express started its run from Delhi to Jaipur. The first national rail museum in New Delhi is came into existence.
1984: The first Metro railway started its run in Kokata for a distance of 16.3 kilometer between Dumdum and Tollygunge.
1986: Computer Reservation of Indian Railway established for the first time.
1988: Shatabdi Express started its run in between Major cities of India.
1991: Life Line Express started in first Hospital Train.
1996: STD/ISD facility started in Trains.
1998: Konkon Railway inaugrated (760 km).
1999: Rail Credit Card system was introduced by Indian Railways & Standard Chartered Bank.
2002: Internet Railway Reservation Started.
The total length of Konkan Railway Track is 760 kilometers. The Konkan railway connects Roha and Mangalore. The headquaters of KonkanRilways is located in Belapur in Navi Mumbai. The inaugration of Konkan Railway was done in 1998 January 26. E.Sreedhar is the malayalee who completed the engineering work of Konkan Railways on time.
Chittaranjan Locomotive Works builts Electric Engines.
Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi.
Integral Coach Factory in Perambur, Chennai.
Rail Coach Factory in Kapurthala.
Rail Wheel Factory at Yelahanka, near Bangalore.
Diesel Loco Modernisation Works in Patiala.
01. Broad-gauge railways use a track gauge of width 1.67 meters. greater than the standard gauge (1,435 mm).
02. Meter Guage (1 meter width).
03. Narrow Guage ( 762 mm 610 mm)
04. Bombay - Thane (1853) is the first Broad Guage Train Service of Asia.
1. Rail India Technical and Economics Services Limited (RITES).
2. Indian Railway Construction Company Limited (IRCON).
3. Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR).
4. Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRC).
5. Center for Railway Information System (CRIS).
6. Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC).
7. Rail Tel Corporation of India Ltd.
8. National Rail Museum (Delhi).
Zone - Headquarter - Starting Year
01. Northern Railway - Delhi - 1952
02. North Eastern Railway - Kharagpur - 1952
03. Northeast Frontier Railway - Maligaon (Guwahati) - 1958
04. Eastern Railway - Kolkata - 1952
05. South Eastern Railway - Kolkata - 1955
06. South Central Railway - Secunderabad - 1966
07. Southern Railway - Chennai - 1951
08. Central Railway - Mumbai - 1951
09. Western Railway - Mumbai - 1951
10. South Western Railway - Hubli - 2003
11. North Western Railway - Jaipur - 2002
12. West Central Railway - Jabalpur - 2003
13. North Central Railway - Allahabad - 2003
14. Southeast Central Railway - Bilaspur - 2003
15. East Coast Railway - Bhubaneswar - 2003
16. East Central Railway - Hajipur - 2002