1. Almost 90% of international trade of India is through the Harbors.
2. There are 13 Main Harbors and more than 190 Small Harbors are there in India.
3. The control of Main Harbors around the Country was undertaken by the Central Government. The management of Small harbors was undertaken by State Government.
4. Tamil Nadu has the most number of Major Harbors.
5. The major ports of eastern coasts were kolkata, Paradip, Visakhapatnam, Chennai, Ennore and Thoothukudi (Tuticorin).The major ports of Western Coasts were Kandla, Mumbai, Mormugao, New Mangalore and Kochi.
6. The Kandla in Gujarat is built in 1950 is a seaport in Kutch District of Gujarat.
7. Mumbai is the natural friendly harbour.
8. Dock is an area of water that is used for loading and repairing the ships. The dock of Mumbai harbour is known in the name Indira, Prince and Victoria.
9. Jawaharlal Nehru Harbour is the biggest and busiest Harbor in India, located at Mumbai. It is also known in the name of Nhava Sheva.
10. Mormugao is located in Goa. The export of Iron ore from India to other countries is mainly transported through Mormugoa Seaport.
11. The alang is the major ship breaking yard of world, located in Gujarat. It is also known as the "cemetery of ships".
12. New Mangalore Port Trust came into existence in Mangalore of Karnataka in 1974.
13. Kochi is considered as one among the eco-friendly seaports in India. It was after the flood of Periyar River in 1341, Cochin Harbor is formed.
14. Kochi is considered as the "Queen of Arabian Sea" and it was stated by RK Shanmugham, who was the dewan of Kochi during his time. The container Ship named "President Tailor" reached kochi in 1973. It was for the first time in Indian history where a container ship reached a Harbor.
15. The main architect of modern Cochin Harbor is the British Engineer, Sir Robert Bristow. The modern harbor of Cochin was inaugrated in May 26, 1928. The wellington island was formed from the dipped soil of Kochi Harbor.
16. The "Thoothukudi" of Tamil Nadu is one of the oldest harbors of the world.
17. Chennai is the one of the busiest seaport trust in India. Ennore is another Eco friendly harbor in India located at North of Chennai.
18. The deepest Harbor of India is located at Visakhapatnam of Andhra Pradesh. It was established in 1933.
19. Paradip Port is the major seaport of Orissa. It was started in 1964 and is located between the artificial lakes.
20. Kolkata is the river side Harbor in West Bengal. The kolkata port had haldia and Dock. kolkata city is situated on the banks of Hooghly river.
21. Port of Pipavav of gujarat is the first private harbour of India.
22. Mundra port in gujarat is the biggest private Harbor of India.
23. It was in 2008, July the biggest private Harbor krishnapatnam port in Andhra Pradesh came into existence.
24. There are seventeen small seaports and a major seaport in Kerala. Fort Kochi is the major seaport.
25. An international Harbor in vizhinjam is also planned and is in the beginning stage of construction.