Facts about IT sector in Kerala
- First E-literate State in India is Kerala.
- Kerala State Information Technology Mission: KSITM is an independent nodal IT accomplishment agency of Kerala Government. It Provides managerial support to various initiatives of the IT Department. It consists of professionals from the industry & the Government.
- Information Kerala Mission (IKM) : Autonomous Institution under Local Self Government Department. Its Mission is Computerization and networking of local governments in Kerala.
- IIITM-K: IIITM-K is Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala. Its Headquarters is at Thiruvananthapuram started functioning in 2000. It is the Premier institution of excellence in Science, Technology and Management related to Information that develops professionals and leaders of high calibre.
- Kerala State IT Infrastructure Ltd (KSITI): Company was formed for the development of IT infrastructure in Kerala.
- SPARK: Service and Payroll Administrative Repository of Kerala. It functions as Payroll and finance related activities of state government employees within a single application.
- FRIENDS: (Jan Sevana Kendrams) Fast Reliable Instant Efficient Network for Disbursement of Services is a single window remittance centre where the citizens can pay all taxes and other dues to the Government below one roof at no additional cost. Citizens can make government associated transactions with no difficulty & comfort and without delay.
- MESSAGE: Paperless File flow system for Govt offices.
- IDEAS: File tracking system for Govt offices.
- IT Infrastructure Projects: Data Centre, KSWAN (State Wide Area Network of Govt of Kerala), SECWAN & Video Conference
- Dr. SMS: A medical & health information system. Dr. SMS is one of 20 services that mobile users in Kerala are able to access when the state launched a “mobile platform" in July 2010.
- Entegramam (My Village) : Web Portal for every grama panchayat in Malayalam language. It is the Programme which is being implemented with UNESCO's assistance. Each web portal covers thorough data of the Panchayat. Pilot project is implemented in Kannur through Akshaya.
- Sutharya Keralam : Interactive Video Conferencing Programme is intended for the speedy disposal of public grievances. The public can watch the programme in Doordarshan.
- E-Krishi : A market driven agricultural initiative through IT enabled agro business centres to help the farmers.
- IN SIGHT is a project for the development of the differently abled in Kerala through Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Akshaya : It is the first district-wide e-literacy project in India. It is the world's largest computer literacy project. It is one of the largest known Internet Protocol (IP) based wireless networks in the world. The Akshaya project is first started in the Malappuram district. Malappuram is also the first totally e-literate district. Akshaya is playing a major role in rural empowerment and economic development.
- Information Technology Policy: The State Government announced its first IT Policy in 1998. It was continued by the IT Policies in 2001 and 2007. Kerala IT Policy-2012 shall support industries in the sector by way of single window clearance, developing "Kerala IT" brand.
- Malayalam Computing - Mission: Strengthen local language, Malayalam, using the possibilities provided by Information and Communication Technologies. This project will help the common man to get more benefits out of various Internet services like E-Mail, Chat, Blog etc.
- Sameeksha: Village Documentation and Community Computing Center (VDCCs) is a local unit run by community members trained in all aspects of computing services and media production.
- E-District project aims to offer Government services to society by Common Service Centers (CSC) which are effortlessly accessible.
- Kerala Innovation Foundation (KIF) provide traditional technologies of the state and the new generation.
- Aasthi: Asset Management System which helps in creating and managing a data repository of the inventory pertaining to the hardware and software of IT resources in an organization.
- COSTECH: It is Kerala State Co-operative Institute of Information Technology Electronics & Communications LTD. Its Headquarters is at Thiruvananthapuram. It is an IT Solution provider in the Co-operative sector.
- Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT): C-DIT is a resource centre of Information Technology in the State and also in the setting up of State Information Infrastructure.
It is the First Technology Park in India which was launched in 1990. It is dedicated to the nation in 1995. Technopark is the IT hub of Kerala. It is an autonomous society promoted by the Government of Kerala. The First chairman of Technopark is K. P. P. Nambiar. It is the biggest IT park in India in terms of built up area. Technopark is currently on Phase III expansion. Phase- IV Expansion project of Technopark is called as Technocity which is an integrated IT township near Pallippuram, Thiruvananthapuram. The development is being planned as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) Model. Technopark - Kollam at Kundara is another upcoming project. Technopark accounts a total of 70% of IT exports from the State. Technopark is owned and administered by the Government of Kerala and is headed by a chief executive officer (CEO). Technopark is the only IT Park in India having ISO 9001:2008; ISO 14001:2004 ; OHSAS 18001:2007 and CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) Level 4 certification.
Infopark is situated in Kakkanad, Ernakulam. It is established in 2004. Infopark Phase I is spread over a 101 acres which has housing over 100 companies which employ more than 30000 professionals. The park is currently on expansion mode.
Smart City Kochi
Smart City Kochi is an IT Special Economic Zone (SEZ) under construction in the city of Kochi. Smart City (Kochi) Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd. is a joint venture company formed to build up the Kochi Smart City project. Main investors are Government of Kerala (16% share), TECOM Investments (84% share), a subsidiary of Dubai Holding. Its Vision is to build a large network of knowledge based industry townships across the world. Other project of Smart city is Smart City Malta.
Cyber Park is in the process of setting up of IT parks at Kozhikode and at the SEZs approved at Kannur and Kasaragod. It is planned in the lines of Technopark and Infopark.