Kalpakkam Nuclear Power Plant
The Kalpakkam Nuclear Power Plant is situated at Kalpakkam, which is nearly 80 km South of Chennai, Tamil Nadu. the total installed capacity of the power plant is 470 MWe.
This is a fully operating power plant and is served as base load in Kalpakkam, Chennai. Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR) is the reactor used in the plant and the power from the plant is connected to the regional grid. Water from ocean (sea water) is the main source of water here.
The plant has two different units and the IAEA-ID of the two plants are IN-5 Madras 1 and IN-6 Madras 2. Both the two units has an installed capacity of 235 MWe. The construction work of the first unit started on 01-January-1971 and the unit is commissioned on 27- January- 1984. The construction work of the second unit started on 01-October-1972 and the unit is commissioned on 21-March-1986. Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is the reactor manufacturer and PHWR (eight-loop) is the reactor model used in both the two units. BHEL Bhopal is the turbine manufacturer and BHEL Hardwar is the generator manufacturer of the plant. Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd is the owner of the power plant. The construction contractor and operating company of the plant is also NPCIL.
How to Reach: Kalpakkam Nuclear Power Plant is located at 80 km South of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India. Kalpakkam Railway Station is the nearest railway station and Chennai International Airport is the nearest airport.
• Project Name – Kalpakkam Nuclear Power Plant
• Commissioned Year – 1984
• Total Installed Capacity in MW – 470 MWe
• Status of Plant - Fully operating power plant
• Power Plant Used for – base load
• Type of Reactor – Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR)
• Water source - Water taken from Ocean
• Reactor Manufacturer - Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL)
• Turbine Manufacturer - BHEL Bhopal
• Reactor models - PHWR (eight-loop)
• Generator manufacturer - BHEL Hardwar
• Owner - Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd
• Address – 80 km South of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
• District – Chennai District
• State – Tamil Nadu
• Contact Number - +91 (4114) 280331
• Email – email@example.com
• Website – npcil.nic.in
• Unit Sizes – 2 x 235 MWe
• Units Operational – 2
• Unit Commissioned – All units are commissioned