Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant
The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) is situated at Kudankulam, Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu. The total installed capacity of the power plant is 2000 MWe.
This is a fully operating plant and the power from the plant is used as base load in Tirunelveli district. The reactor used in the plant is Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) and the power grid from the plant is mainly connected to the regional grid. Seawater is the main source of water and Rosatom is the main source of fuel in this plant. The capital cost of the power plant in the year 2001 is Rs. 13615 Crores.
The plant has two different units and the IAEA-ID number of the two units is IN-23 Kudankulam and IN-24 Kudankulam. Both the two units has an installed capacity of 1000 MWe. The construction work of the first unit started on 31-March-2002 and the unit is commissioned on 31-December-2014. The construction work of the second unit started on 04-July-2002 and the unit is commissioned on 31-March-2017. Rosatom is the reactor manufacturer of the plant and PWR VVER V-412 is the reactor model used in both the two units. This is a government ownership power plant and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is the owner of the plant having all the 100% share of the plant. NPCIL is the operating company of the power plant.
How to Reach: Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant is located in the Kudankulam town of Tirunelveli District in Tamil Nadu, India. Kanyakumari and Aralvaimozhi are the nearest railway stations and Tuticorin Airport is the nearest airport.
• Project Name – Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) India
• Commissioned Year – 2014
• Total Installed Capacity in MW – 2000 MWe
• Status of Plant - Fully operating power plant
• Power Plant Used for – base load
• Type of Reactor – Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR)
• Fuel Source - Rosatom
• Water source - Water taken from Ocean (Sea water)
• Reactor Manufacturer - Rosatom
• Reactor models - PWR VVER V-412
• Owner - Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL)
• Operating company - Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL)
• Address – Kudankulam, Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu, India
• District – Tirunelveli District
• State – Tamil Nadu
• Contact Number - +91 (4637) 282201
• Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website – npcil.nic.in
• Unit Sizes – 2 x 1000 MWe
• Units Operational – 2
• Unit Commissioned – All units are commissioned