Neriamangalam Hydroelectric Project
Neriamangalam Hydroelectric Project is located in the Panamkutty Power House, at Kallarkutty Pambla Road of Idukki in Kerala. It was commissioned in 1961. It has an approved capacity of 77.65 MW. The Type of Project is Major, as the capacity is greater than 25 Megawatt. The type of Powerhouse is Surface and the status of power plant is Operational. The source of water for the generation of power is Mudriapuzha/Periyar.
The basin is west flowing rivers and the power plant is located in the Hydroelectric Region of South India. The hydroelectric development type of power plant is Run of River Pondage. The power station is owned by Kerala State Government and the operating company is Kerala State Electricity Board. The Beneficiary State of the power plant is Kerala. The power project is completed in 1963 and it started its operations from the same year itself.
The total number of Turbines in the power plant is 4 and capacity per turbine is 3 turbines x 17.55 MW and 1 turbine x 25 MW. The type of Turbine used is Francis. The Turbine maker is Charmilles Switzerland and Generator maker is Brown Boveri Switzerland.
The Unit Size of power plant is 77.65 MW (3 units x 17.55 MW and 1 unit x 25 MW). So the total number of units is four. The Neriamangalam Hydroelectric Project has 3 units and Neriamangalam Extension Scheme has 1 unit. All the four units are commissioned. The first three units are commissioned in 27 -01-1961, 09-04-1961 and 11-05-1963 respectively with an installed capacity of 17.55 MW for each units and the fourth unit is commissioned in 27-05- 2008 with an installed capacity of 25 MW.
How to Reach: Neriamangalam Hydroelectric Power Station is located in the Keerithodu village of Idukki District in Kerala. Buses and taxi services are accessible from Idukki town to the power station. Vaikom, Angamali and Aluva are the nearest railway stations. Kochi International Airport is the nearest Airport providing domestic as well as international services.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Neriamangalam Hydroelectric Project
• Commission Date – 1961
• Approved Capacity in MW –77.65 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 77.65 MW
• Type of Project – Major (>25 MW)
• Type of Powerhouse - Surface
• Status –Operational
• Water Source – Mudriapuzha/Periyar
• Basin – West flowing rivers near power project
• Hydroelectric Basin – West flowing rivers
• Hydroelectric Region – Hydroelectric Region of South India
• Hydroelectric Development Type –Run of River Pondage
• Owner – State Government
• Operating Company – Kerala State Electricity Board
• Address – Keerithodu, Idukki District, Kerala
• District – Idukki
• State – Kerala
• Contact Number –+91 (471) 244 6480 (Trivandrum)
• Email –
• Website – www.kseb.in
• Beneficiary States/ Union Territories – Kerala
• Completion of Power Project– 1963
• Number of Turbines – 4
• Capacity per Turbine – 3 x 17.55 MW and 1 x 25 MW
• Type of Turbine – Francis
• Turbine Manufacturer – Charmilles Switzerland
• Generator Manufacturer – Brown Boveri Switzerland
• Unit Sizes – 77.65 MW (3 x 17.55, 1 x 25 MW)
• Total Units – 4
• Units Commissioned –All the 4 units are commissioned