Ramganga Hydroelectric Project
Ramganga (Kalagarh) Hydroelectric Project is erected in the Ramganga River, which is 3.5 km North of Kalagarh in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand in India. The power project is commissioned in 1975 with an approved and installed capacity of 198 MW. The type of project is Major since its capacity is greater than 25 MW. The type of plant is like a Dam on a river with reservoir. The configuration of powerhouse is having a surface power house at the toe of the dam. The main reservoir, where the power project is erected is Ramganga Reservoir. The hydroelectric status of the power project is Functional. The source of water for the generation of power is Ramganga River.
The beneficiary states of the power project are Uttarakhand and its neighboring states. The power project is completed and started its operations in 1975. The total number of turbines in the power station is three and capacity for each turbine is 66 MW. The type of turbine used in the power house is Francis. The maker of both Turbine and Generator of the power plant is by the BHEL of Bhopal in India. The unit size of power project is 198 MW having 3 units of 66 MW. There are three units in operation and all the units are commissioned in 1975, 1976 and 1977 respectively.
How to Reach: Ramganga (Kalagarh) Hydroelectric Power Plant is located in the north of Kalagarh in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand. You can travel via Air, Rail or Road to reach the power station.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Ramganga (Kalagarh) Hydroelectric Project
• Commission Date – 1975
• Approved Capacity in MW – 198 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 198 MW
• Type of Project – Major (total capacity more than 25 MW)
• Type of Plant – Dam on a river having reservoir
• Type of Powerhouse – One surface power house at the toe of the dam
• Main Reservoir – Ramganga Reservoir
• Status – Operational
• Water Source – Ramganga River
• Hydroelectric Region – Northern Hydroelectric Region
• Owner – State Government
• Operating Company – Uttrakhand Irrigation Department UJVNL
• Address – 3.5 km North of Kalagarh in Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India
• District – Pauri Garhwal
• State – Uttarakhand
• Beneficiary States/ Districts – Uttarakhand and neighboring states
• Completion of Power Project – 1975
• Number of Turbines – 3
• Capacity per Turbine – 66 MW
• Type of Turbine – Francis
• Turbine Manufacturer – BHEL Bhopal India
• Generator Manufacturer – BHEL Bhopal India
• Unit Sizes – 198 MW (66 MW x 3)
• Total Units – 3
• Units Commissioned – All the three units are commissioned in 1975, 1976 and 1977 respectively.