Umiam-Umtru Hydroelectric Project
Umiam-Umtru Stage-iii Hydroelectric Power Station is erected at Umiam and Umtru Rivers in the Kyrdemkulai town of Meghalaya in India. The stage 3 hydroelectric power station is commissioned in 1979 with an approved and installed capacity of 60 MW. The type of project is Major as its capacity is greater than 25 MW. The plant is constructed like a dam on river with reservoir. The status of power project is completed and are now Operational. The source of water for the generation of power is from Umiam and Umtru Rivers.
The power project is located in the North Eastern Hydroelectric Region of the country. The power plant is owned by state government and the operating company is Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited. The beneficiary states of Umiam-Umtru Stage-iii Hydroelectric Power Plant are Meghalaya and its neighbouring state, Assam. The power project was completed in 1979 and later on, it started its operations in the same year itself.
The total number of turbines in the power plant is two and capacity per each turbine is 30 MW. The type of turbine used in the power station is Francis. The manufacturer of both Turbine and Generator of the power station is by the Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) of Haridwar in India. The unit sizes of power plant is 60 MW and the total number units in the power plant is two. All the three units in the Umiam-Umtru Stage-iii hydroelectric project is commissioned.
How to Reach: TheUmiam-Umtru Stage-iii hydroelectric project is located in the Umiam and Umtru Rivers in the Kyrdemkulai town of Ri Bhoi district at Meghalaya in India. You can reach this power station via Road, Rail or Air. Shillong is the nearest well-connected city, which is 32 kilometer away. You will get bus or car taxi from Shillong to Power Station. The nearest railway station is Shillong Railway Station.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Umiam-Umtru Stage-iii Hydroelectric Power Station
• Commission Date – 1979
• Approved Capacity in MW – 60 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 60 MW
• Type of Project – Major (> 25 MW)
• Type of Plant – Dam on river with Reservoir
• Status – Completed and Operational
• River - Umiam and Umtru Rivers
• Hydroelectric Region – North Eastern HE Region
• Owner – State Government
• Operating Company – Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited
• Address – Kyrdemkulai, Meghalaya, India
• District – Ri Bhoi
• State – Meghalaya
• Contact Number – 0364 - 2590610, 2590742, 2590710, 2591843
• Fax – 0364 - 2590355
• Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website – meecl.nic.in
• Beneficiary States/ Union Territories –Meghalaya and its neighbouring states
• Completion of Power Project – 1979
• Number of Turbines – 2
• Capacity per Turbine – 30 MW
• Type of Turbine - Francis
• Turbine Maker –BHEL Haridwar India
• Generator Maker – BHEL Haridwar India
• Unit Sizes – 60 MW
• Total Units – 2
• Units Commissioned – All the three units are commissioned