GMR Group is an infrastructural corporation headquartered in Bengaluru. The company was set up in 1978 by the founder of GMR Group, Grandhi Mallikarjuna Rao. Employing the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, the Group has executed numerous infrastructure ventures in India. The Group also has an international presence with infrastructure operating assets and projects in numerous countries comprising Nepal, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines and Greece.
GMR group is one among the big player in the field of power generation in the country with more than 4400 Megawatt of installed capacity. The power station units under the GMR Group are explained below.
1. GMR Power Corporation Limited: The GMR Power Corporation Limited is located in the Chennai district in Tamil Nadu. The installed capacity of the power plant is 200 Megawatt. The fuel used for power generation is Low Sulphur Heavy Stock (LSHS). The power station becomes Operational since 1999.
2. GMR Energy Limited: The GMR Energy Limited has two power stations in two districts, Mangalore of Karnataka and Kakinada of Andhra Pradesh. The installed capacity of both units are 220 Megawatt and the primary fuel used is Natural Gas. It became operational since 2001 in Mangalore and 2010 in Kakinada of Andhra Pradesh.
3. GMR Vemagiri Power Generation Limited: The power generation plant is located in the Rajamundry district of Andhra Pradesh. The installed capacity of the thermal power plant is 388 Megawatt. The fuel used is Natural Gas and the power plant became operational in 2006.
4. GMR Renewable Energy Limited: GMR Renewable Energy Limited is located in the Kutch district of Gujarat. Here the power is generated from Wind and the installed capacity of thermal power plant is 2.1 Megawatt. The power station started its operation since 2011.
5. GMR Power Infra Limited: It is erected in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu. This is also a wind mill power station. The installed capacity is around 1.25 Megawatt. It became functional from 2011 onwards.
6. GMR Gujarat Solar Power Pvt Limited: The power plant is solar based. It is located in the Charanka district of Gujarat. The power plant has an installed capacity of 25 Megawatt and it started its commercial operation since 2012.
7. GMR Warora Energy Limited: GMR Warora Energy Limited is located in the Warora district of Maharashtra. It is a coal fired power plant with an installed capacity of 600 Megawatt. The power plant started its function in 2013.
8. GMR Kamalanga Energy Limited: GMR Kamalanga Energy limited erected a coal based power station in the Kamalanga district of Orissa. It has an approved capacity of 1050 Megawatt. The power plant started its operation from 2013 onwards.
9. GMR Chhattisgarh Energy Limited: GMR Chhattisgarh Energy Limited is located in the district of Raikheda in Chhattisgarh. The power plant has an installed capacity of 1350 Megawatt. The power plant started its functioning from 2015 onwards.
10. GMR Rajamundry Energy Limited: It is located in the Rajamundry district of Andhra Pradesh. The primary fuel used for the generation of power is Natural Gas. The power plant started its operation in 2015.